A car’s transmission is an important part of your vehicle, and when you have transmission problems, your car could be put out of service due to it. The transmission in your vehicle is the part of your car that takes the power from your engine to the drive shaft, which help turn the wheels of the car. It is quite difficult to drive a car with a destroyed transmission. It is an expensive fix to have to purchase a new or rebuilt transmission, when with regular tuneups and checkups at the dealership, this may be completely unneeded. It is true that all cars age, but proper consistent upkeep can forestall any major issues like a transmission failure from occurring.
Preventative maintenance will always help your transmission run better, last longer and need fewer repairs. Here are the four most common types of transmission problems and what you can do to remedy them. Unless you really know what you are doing regarding them, let an expert transmission technician diagnose and fix the problem in your transmission.
- Low fluid levels or leaks-not generally a sign that you need transmission flushed-transmission gasket seal may have to be replaced-only is very old or contaminated will a technician tell you to flush out the transmission, usually a change will sufficed.
- Torque Converter problems-derived from worn or damaged needle bearings-can lead to transmission damage or failure-will only make noise while in a driving gear-may benefit from a transmission fluid flushing.
- Solenoid problems-this controls the flow of fluid through the transmission-could be from an electrical problem with solenoid.
- Clutch problems- a clutch can become jammed-resulting in violent shaking underneath the car and high heat levels in transmission, You will probably see a very sharp drop in the power output of your engine.
It is a matter of disagreement among mechanics,the rationale for getting your car’s transmission’s fluid flushed, and on what time schedule. The standard flushing requirement of every 2 years and 30,000 miles, is usually enough. There are certain signs that you may need to consider a transmission flush sooner to protect your car’s transmission.
- Grinding or strange noises coming from your transmission
- Gear Shifting Issues
- Slipping Gears
- Surging of the vehicle-forward, or backwards
- Delay in Vehicle movement
If your car is displaying these symptoms. the dirty transmission has probably caused more damage already. A transmission flush will completely replace the old transmission fluid, replacing it with new fluid. This is different than a fluid change in which a portion of the fluid is replaced. There is little argument that a clean transmission will extend the life of your car, the question comes in the procedure. First you do the transmission flush, then you remove the pan and change the transmission filter so that the contaminates will not be able to go back into your transmission.
Before you drain or flush the fluid, you should look at the transmission fluid. You want to avoid flushing fluid that is dark, burnt smelling or that has flecks in it. Chances are if you do this, your transmission will shortly fail, and there is no way to forecast when that will be.
“The best defense is a good offense”,meaning buy your Acura at a reputable dealer, who will stand by any repairs they make, and offer a warranty on Acura made parts. Montgomeryville Acura has an inventory of used and new automobiles with a knowledgeable service staff that can and will fix any transmission issue that you may experience.