As a resident of Montgomeryville or surrounding areas in PA, you may be curious as to how to know when it’s time to change the oil in your car, or have it serviced by professionals. Most people are familiar with the guidelines used for decades of having the oil changed every three months or 3,000 miles, however this old “rule” doesn’t really apply in every situation today, particularly in newer cars. So what other indications are there that your oil may need changing?
Here are 5 signs that the oil in your vehicle needs changing
- Your vehicle’s engine seems louder than usual. Oil lubricates the engine, helping it run smoothly and quietly. When it begins to sound like the components of your engine are grinding against each other, it may be time for an oil change.
- Oil appears gritty and black. While this isn’t super easy to recognize, you can tell when the oil has gone bad if you look closely. Clean oil is a honey color, while old oil turns black and has particles mixed in it that can slip through the filter and affect the engine.
- When you check the oil level, it’s low. All engines use oil, but when your engine is not operating at top performance, it will use even more oil to compensate. You may think it is good enough to simply fill up the oil reserve when it is extremely low; however, it’s a better idea to have it changed to ensure the right consistency.
- The “check engine” light stays on. On older vehicles, the “check engine” light may illuminate when the oil level is low. Before worrying that you have a more serious problem with your engine, check to see what the dipstick indicates. Most newer model vehicles are equipped with an oil gauge that indicates low oil levels.
- You have no idea when the oil was last changed. Whether you change it yourself or have a technician do the job, if you honestly cannot remember the last time the oil was changed in your vehicle, it is time. Establish a regular schedule such as having your oil changed every four months, every so many thousand miles, etc. If you still cannot remember, keep a record of having your car serviced on a notepad tucked away in the glove compartment.
At Montgomeryville Acura, we provide fast, reliable, and trusted auto service to help you enjoy peace of mind knowing your vehicle is running at top performance. Whether your Acura is a dozen years old or a year old, our certified technicians will change the oil, rotate the tires, or address other more serious issues. Don’t forget to check out our service specials!